Our Mission and History
Blue Ridge Singers brings together musicians of all ages and backgrounds to create harmony, beauty, and unity through the performance of challenging, cutting-edge choral music. We are a passionate group, committed to offering high quality musical experiences which inspire, educate, and enrich not only our members, but also our community.
"Singing with the Blue Ridge Singers has become such an exceptional part of my life. Not only have my musical skills drastically improved, I have formed friendships with many people that I know will last a lifetime. It is truly such an honor and pleasure to be a member and part of this group."
- Anonymous, 2018 Choir Retreat
Blue Ridge Singers was born in 2009 of a vision held by founding member Patricia Spory and her daughter Beth Whitney for a new community-based choir in Warren County, Virginia. They dreamed of creating an ensemble capable of performing challenging sacred and secular compositions spanning a wide range of musical periods and styles. Gathering a group of twenty-two auditioned singers, they began rehearsal under the direction of Tom Bowen, choral teacher at Skyline High School. The choir debuted at the Front Royal “Festival of Leaves” in October 2009 and performed its initial full concert in the fall of 2010. By encouraging his students to join, Mr. Bowen helped the choir to realize one of its goals of incorporating youth in the community.
In 2011, Dr. Jeffrey Alban was invited to become the artistic director and conductor of the Blue Ridge Singers. Since that time, the choir has grown with many talented new voices. Blue Ridge Singers present a broad range of repertoire including medieval chant through present-day compositions. The choir frequently presents guest vocalists and instrumentalists and has premiered new works by local musicians, most recently introducing Run, Shenandoah!, with text by local poet Barbara Frank arranged by local composer Glen Caluda. Under Dr. Alban’s direction, the choir continues to improve its technical skills, musical interpretation, and engagement of its listeners as it performs concerts in a growing number of venues in the northern Shenandoah Valley and beyond.
Learn more about the Blue Ridge Singers’ Board of Directors.
Click for previous concert details:
- Oh, What a Glorious Day! - April 2019
- The Most Wonderful Time of the Year - December 2018
- To Music… - April 2018
- Noel Nouvelet: Christmas Comes Anew - December 2017
- Dreams in Song - April 2017
- There’s a Song in the Air - December 2016
- I Saw Water Flowing - April 2016
- Sweet Singing in the Choir - December 2015
- An American Choral Cross-Section - April 2015
- A “Frozen” Choral Spectacular - December 2014
- I Love My Love… - April 2014
- Winter Soundscape - December 2013
- Rejoice! - April 2013
- The Promise of Light - December 2012
- Music of the Night - April 2012
- Sweeter Still… - December 2011